Storage Development Manager – US
Matrix Renewables is a renewable energy platform that was founded by global alternative asset manager TPG through its impact investing platform, TPG Rise, in 2020. Matrix Renewables focuses on developing, constructing and being long-term owners of renewable energy assets.
Matrix Renewables’ current portfolio is comprised of 11.7 GW (operational, under construction, ready to build, under development) of renewable energy projects and storage across North America, Europe and Latin America.
TPG Rise is a $16 billion impact investing platform focused on investing in and supporting the growth of world-class businesses that deliver positive and measurable social and environmental impact globally.
TPG is a leading global alternative asset investment firm with offices in Austin, Beijing, Boston, Dallas, Fort Worth, Hong Kong, Houston, London, Luxembourg, Melbourne, Moscow, Mumbai, New York, San Francisco, Seoul, Singapore, and Washington D.C. TPG’s investment platforms span a wide range of asset classes, including private equity, growth equity, impact investing, infrastructure, growth venture, real estate, secondaries, and public equity.
At Matrix Renewables we are looking for a highly motivated individual to play a key role managing our Project Development in the U.S. The Storage Manager will be responsible for storage development in key markets, reporting directly to the VP of US Development. The Candidate should use their experience and intelligence to identify greenfield storage siting opportunities, assess risks and opportunities, evaluate the quality of work done by Matrix’s joint developers and guide Matrix in managing the risks and opportunities associated the projects and pipeline. The Candidate should be mature enough to lead development of storage projects and be able to represent Matrix’s interests with various stakeholders, being confident to proactively advocate for Matrix’ interests. The Candidate should have a good network of connections in the storage development and electricity industry in the U.S. The Candidate must be familiar with all aspects of the development of utility scale storage projects, including stand-alone storage and solar plus storage. During the development phase, the Candidate will collaborate with in-house Matrix and external teams to ensure that projects obtain all the real estate rights, permits, authorizations, and licenses necessary to reach Ready to Build (“RTB”) status, on time and budget. Part of the role will also be to manage timing between project RTB and PPAs from Matrix’s assets.
Key activities and responsibilities:
• Lead storage development from greenfield or project acquisition through RTB, including leading engagement with local authorities, landowners, local communities, joint developers, transmission authorities and third party service providers.
• Lead data-driven site identification
• Track development status of projects, liaising with joint developers to help deliver projects to RTB on time.
• Own project development schedule, budget and payment processing
• Own project inputs into reporting and financial models
• Manage project risks and opportunities
• Manage relationships with landlords, the community, local officials and other stakeholders of a project and manage public relations in relation to the project
• Support other departments in relation to projects, including finance and operations, through the development phase
• Ensure smooth handover of development activities to the operations department
• Help to implement Matrix’ ESG policy at the local level in compliance with modern standards, regulations, and best industry practice. Flag any ESG issues as soon as possible, gather information related to them and where instructed interact with stakeholders if appropriate
• Ensure the highest compliance about anticorruption practices with all the stakeholders
General Skills / Attributes:
• BA or BS in a relevant field and an MBA or MS in a relevant field preferred
• 5+ years of energy industry experience in a project development, project management and other commercial roles
• Experience with developing storage projects from greenfield siting through RTB as well as storage project acquisition
• Full understanding of the development process for storage projects in various regions of the U.S.
• Experience working with all stakeholders involved in storage projects
• Strong decision-making skills in light of uncertainty
• Strong entrepreneurial, organizational, analytical and people skills
• Solid communication skills with the capability to establish technical discussions in different cultural environments
• Proven track record and aptitude for analytic, financial and research work including facility with financial models, storage analytics and all aspects of development due diligence around a project
• Comfortable attending lobbying events both at the national and local level, in both political and civil service spheres
• Good industry contacts with large generators, developers, transmission providers
• An ability to perform at a high level in a matrixed organization, working in interdepartmental teams to achieve objectives and manage multiple projects and development relationships simultaneously with minimal supervision
• Native English speaking proficiency
• Ability to travel to our Miami headquarters and throughout the U.S. to meet stakeholders around Matrix projects