Storage Business Development Manager – Madrid
Matrix Renewables is a renewable energy platform that was founded by global alternative asset manager TPG through its impact investing platform, TPG Rise, in 2020. Headquartered in Madrid, Matrix Renewables focuses on developing, constructing and being long-term owners of renewable energy assets.
Matrix Renewables’ current portfolio is comprised of 12.2 GW (operational, under construction, ready to build, under development) of renewable energy projects and storage across North America, Europe and Latin America.
TPG Rise is a $17 billion impact investing platform focused on investing in and supporting the growth of world-class businesses that deliver positive and measurable social and environmental impact globally. TPG is a leading global alternative asset investment firm with offices in Austin, Beijing, Boston, Dallas, Fort Worth, Hong Kong, Houston, London, Luxembourg, Melbourne, Moscow, Mumbai, New York, San Francisco, Seoul, Singapore, and Washington D.C. TPG’s investment platforms span a wide range of asset classes, including private equity, growth equity, impact investing, infrastructure, growth venture, real estate, secondaries, and public equity.
At Matrix Renewables we are looking for a highly motivated individual to play a key role supporting our Storage Business Development activities in Spain & Portugal. Based in Madrid, the Iberia Storage Business Development Manager will be assisting business development activities over Matrix’s portfolio of projects in Spain & Portugal, reporting to Matrix’s VP, Business Development Storage & Hydrogen also based in Madrid. The Candidate will lead the Project Storage Business Development team in Spain & Portugal in their day-to-day activities, monitoring compliance with contractual obligations and assessing the quality of work done by with Matrix’s developers, assisting in the ordinary corporate and administrative obligations, liaising with external advisors, and assisting M&A, finance and operations teams when required. The Candidate would also use their experience and intelligence to identify risks and to guide Matrix in understanding the risks that these projects face. The candidate must be familiar with all aspects of the development of renewable energy or Storage projects in the country. During the development phase, the candidate will collaborate with in-house Matrix and external teams to ensure that projects obtain all the permits, authorizations, and licenses necessary to reach Ready to Build (“RTB”) status, on time.
Key activities and responsibilities:
• Lead the Storage Business Development team in Spain & Portugal
• Analyze and control greenfield project opportunities (land securing and interconnection procedures) and other early-stage project development activities
• Ensure projects’ VDR are updated with relevant documentation through each project development stage.
• Track development status of projects in its pipeline, liaising with developers to help to deliver projects to RTB on time.
• Project scheduling management through activities definition, sequencing, resources, and duration estimation
• Help to implement ESG Company policy at local level in compliance with modern standards, regulations, and best industry practice. Flag to ESG team any issues as soon as possible, gather information related to them and where instructed interact with stakeholders if appropriate
• Represent Matrix in Iberia before the following stakeholders: local authorities, at political and regulatory level, landowners & local communities. The candidate should have experience working with Stakeholders and be comfortable in that setting, able to manage sometimes difficult or confrontational situations. Industry contacts with large generators, developers or distribution companies will be a positive
• Leading & closing Due Diligences and active red flag solving to close and acquire efficiently the projects when reaching RTB to our developers
• Create and lead a new greenfield inhouse projects portfolio. • Budgeting and funding management. The candidate shall be entitled to control the funding activities and budgeting to follow what is stipulated in the contracts, having also control on the Matrix “money at risk” exposure per co-developer.
• Management of community and public relations in respect of the Project
• Ensure the highest compliance about anticorruption practices along the relationship with all the stakeholders
General Skills / Attributes:
• Master’s degree in engineering, law, or business
• 5-10 years of energy industry experience in a business development, project administration, asset management, contract administration, deal execution, project finance or other commercial role
• Understanding of the development, construction, and operational milestones & permits for Storage in Spain & Portugal
• Budgeting controlling skills
• Comfortable attending lobbying events both at the national level and local, in both political and civil service spheres
• Experience with dealing with utilities, distributors and generators and highly desirable network of contacts in those companies
• Ability to perform in a matrixed organization, working in inter-departmental teams to achieve objectives
• Solid communication skills: capability to establish technical discussions in different cultural environments
• Fluent in English and Spanish
• Ability to travel through Spain and Portugal to meet stakeholders around Matrix projects