Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Manager Madrid
Matrix Renewables is a renewable energy platform that was founded by global alternative asset manager TPG through its impact investing platform, TPG Rise, in 2020. Headquartered in Madrid, Matrix Renewables focuses on developing, constructing and being long-term owners of renewable energy assets.
Matrix Renewables current portfolio is comprised of 2.1 GW of operational, under construction, or near ready-to-build solar PV projects and a further 5.6 GW pipeline of renewable energy projects under development, across Europe, US and LATAM.
TPG Rise is a $14 billion impact investing platform focused on investing in and supporting the growth of world-class businesses that deliver positive and measurable social and environmental impact globally.
TPG is a leading global alternative asset investment firm with offices in Austin, Beijing, Boston, Dallas, Fort Worth, Hong Kong, Houston, London, Luxembourg, Melbourne, Moscow, Mumbai, New York, San Francisco, Seoul, Singapore, and Washington D.C. TPG’s investment platforms span a wide range of asset classes, including private equity, growth equity, impact investing, infrastructure, growth venture, real estate, secondaries, and public equity.
This is considered a key role for Matrix Renewables. The ESG Manager will be based at the Madrid headquarters, you will be responsible for:
- Ensuring that Matrix Renewables’ (“Company”) owned and operated businesses and facilities are managed in a manner which gives adequate focus to the environmental, social, health and safety (ESHS) aspects of the communities in which it operates.
- Leading the Company’s environmental, social and governance (“ESG”) activities and bring added value to the Company’s operations.
- Working closely with M&A, project development, project operations and the legal team ensure that all projects are developed, constructed and operated with adequate consideration for ESG matters.
- Acting as the in-house subject matter expert for ESG matters.
- Leading the ESG engagement with shareholders, lenders, offtakers, contractors and communities.
- Lead external reporting on ESG matters.
Key activities and responsibilities:
1. Manage and continuously improve all aspects of the Company’s ESG and sustainability strategy and management systems. This includes:
- Enhance and further develop Matrix renewables´ ESG Management Systems in accordance with local and international standards, including the development of additional procedures to achieve outstanding ESG performance across Matrix Renewables´ operations and assets.
- Setting and monitoring ESG targets and implementing best practices to achieve them.
- Planning and implementing monitoring / audit programs to determine whether the company policies are being effectively complied with and identify improvement areas.
- Monitor environmental and social performance of Matrix Renewables´ activities, projects and contractors.
- Implementing local community programmes in accordance with the relevant policies and sourcing innovative funding routes to achieve this.
- Conducting due diligence/technical analysis/assessment of environmental and social risks and opportunities in transactions. • Deliver internal and external training on ESG matters.
2. Further strengthen and develop Matrix Renewables´ approach to community engagement with the objective of (i) ensuring a Just Transition to decarbonisation in accordance with international climate objectives and (ii) identify opportunities to enhance positive impacts on communities.
3. Provide regular updates on ESG performance to Senior Management and Board/Advisory Board members.
4. Work with other teams in Matrix Renewables to manage community and public relations in respect of the Project
5. Monitor and report operating facilities’ ESG activities and their compliance to relevant standards throughout the development and operational cycles
6. Provide coaching, coordination and support across the business to help identify and apply best practices, procedures and other programs that will assist Matrix in meeting its ESG goals and objectives
7. Provide technical support and assistance to operational teams in relation to ESG matters and risk mitigation
8. Assist operating facilities in sourcing ESG services and support, 3rd party technical contractors/consultants as may be required
9. Provide support to project developers in relation to ESG matters and risk mitigation for new projects by helping undertake due diligence, coordinating the development of Environmental and Social Impact Assessments and defining ESG risk mitigation strategies
10. Undertake or source and manage advisors for ESG due diligence of potential acquisitions and support integration and transition activities for new acquisitions.
11. Help assess and monitor the competence and compliance of the Company’s key suppliers in relation to ESG matters.
12. Support the investigation, and reporting, of any incidents, accidents and any matters pertaining to non-compliance with ESG requirements and ensure corrective actions are implemented in a timely and effective manner.
13. Support the development of communications tools to highlight the Company’s ESG accomplishments.
14. Manage, guide, train, support and coach members of the ESG team (currently one person and expected to grow in 2023).
- Ethical behavior
- Passion for ESG topics
- Robust understanding of ESG matters and trends.
- Achievement focused
- Creativity and innovation
- Planning and organizing
- Team player. Contributor to good and fulfilling working environment.
- Understanding of power generation market and the associated ESG challenges
- Ability to effectively communicate, present and discuss complex ESG matters to stakeholders, including Company´s Staff, Board members, shareholders, lenders, communities and relevant authorities.
- Excellent communication and team building skills are required.
- Work effectively with multidisciplinary teams and manage diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to travel on occasion
Experience, Knowledge & Qualifications:
At least 10 years of relevant experience, ideally with a recordable track record of renewable energy portfolio.
- Relevant degree in sustainability/environmental science, engineering or related area and previous experience in the development and implementation of policy or management systems.
- Strong working knowledge of ESG performance metrics and reporting standards.
- Proved experience in health and safety management, monitoring and/or advisory, ideally in the renewable energy sector.
- Deep understanding of international ESG management frameworks (in particular the IFC performance standards, the Equator Principles and World Bank EHS Guidelines).
- Ideally, an understanding of key environmental and health and safety regulations in some of the markets Matrix Renewables operated in.
- Proficiency in English and Spanish. Ability to conduct business in English and Spanish at the highest standards
Competitive salary offered
If you are interested in applying, please send a cover email and CV in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org