Development Senior Associate - US
Matrix Renewables is a renewable energy platform that was founded by global alternative asset manager TPG through its impact investing platform, TPG Rise, in 2020. Headquartered in Madrid, Matrix Renewables focuses on developing, constructing and being long-term owners of renewable energy assets.
Matrix Renewables’ current portfolio is comprised of 9.3 GW (operational, under construction, ready to build, under development) of renewable energy projects and storage across North America, Europe and Latin America.
TPG Rise is a $16 billion impact investing platform focused on investing in and supporting the growth of world-class businesses that deliver positive and measurable social and environmental impact globally.
TPG is a leading global alternative asset investment firm with offices in Austin, Beijing, Boston, Dallas, Fort Worth, Hong Kong, Houston, London, Luxembourg, Melbourne, Moscow, Mumbai, New York, San Francisco, Seoul, Singapore, and Washington D.C. TPG’s investment platforms span a wide range of asset classes, including private equity, growth equity, impact investing, infrastructure, growth venture, real estate, secondaries, and public equity.
At Matrix Renewables we are looking for a highly motivated individual to play a key role managing our Project Development in the U.S. The Project Senior Associate will be responsible for overseeing development of key markets and Matrix’s portfolio of projects in the U.S., reporting to Matrix headquarters in Miami. The Candidate should use their experience and intelligence to identify risks and opportunities, to assess the quality of work done by Matrix’s developers, and to guide Matrix in understanding the risks and opportunities that these projects face. The Candidate should be mature enough to be able to represent Matrix’s interests with the local teams and stakeholders, being confident to proactively defend Matrix even if that position is opposed by the developer or stakeholders. The Candidate should have a good network of connections in the development and electricity industry in the U.S. The Candidate must be familiar with all aspects of the development of renewable energy projects, including wind, solar and storage. During the development phase, the candidate will collaborate with in-house Matrix and external teams to ensure that projects obtain all the permits, authorizations, and licenses necessary to reach Ready to Build (“RTB”) status, on time. Part of the role will also be to manage timing between project RTB and PPAs from Matrix’s assets.
Key activities and responsibilities:
• Lead development of Matrix projects including interfacing with local authorities, landowners & local communities, developers, offtakers, and transmission authorities.
• Deep experience working with all stakeholders involved in a project
• Proven track record and aptitude for analytic, financial and research work including facility with financial models and all aspects of development due diligence around a project
• Ensure that Matrix is tracking development status of projects in its pipeline, liaising with developers to help to deliver projects to RTB on time.
• Project scheduling management through activities definition, sequencing, resources, and duration estimation
• Management of relationships with landlords and tenants and knowledge of real estate management and practices in various parts of the U.S.
• Management of community and public relations in respect of the Project
• Smooth handover of development activities to Matrix operations department
• Help to implement ESG Company policy at local level in compliance with modern standards, regulations, and best industry practice. Flag any ESG issues as soon as possible, gather information related to them and where instructed interact with stakeholders if appropriate
• Ensure the highest compliance about anticorruption practices with all the stakeholders
General Skills / Attributes:
• BA or BS in a relevant field and an MBA or MA in a relevant field
• 4+ years of energy industry experience in a project development, project administration, project management, asset management, transmission planning and management, contract administration, deal execution, project finance and other commercial roles
• Experience developing projects in ERCOT is preferred
• Full understanding of the development, construction, and operational processes for solar projects in various regions of the U.S.
• Comfortable attending lobbying events both at the national and local level, in both political and civil service spheres
• Good industry contacts with large generators, developers, transmission providers and offtakers
• Strong decision-making skills in light of uncertainty
• An ability to perform at a high level in a matrixed organization, working in interdepartmental teams to achieve objectives and manage multiple projects and development relationships simultaneously with minimal supervision
• Strong entrepreneurial, organizational, analytical and people skills
• Solid communication skills: capability to establish technical discussions in different cultural environments
• Native English
• Ability to travel to our Miami headquarters and throughout the U.S. to meet stakeholders around Matrix projects