Development Manager US
Matrix Renewables is a renewable energy platform that was founded by global alternative asset manager TPG through its impact investing platform, The Rise Fund, in 2020. Headquartered in Madrid, Matrix Renewables focuses on developing, constructing and being long-term owners of renewable energy assets.
Matrix Renewables current portfolio is comprised of 2.1 GW of operational, under construction, or near ready-to-build solar PV projects and a further 2.7 GW pipeline of renewable energy projects under development, across Europe, US and LATAM.
TPG Rise is a $13 billion impact investing platform focused on investing in and supporting the growth of world-class businesses that deliver positive and measurable social and environmental impact globally.
TPG is a leading global alternative asset investment firm with offices in Austin, Beijing, Boston, Dallas, Fort Worth, Hong Kong, Houston, London, Luxembourg, Melbourne, Moscow, Mumbai, New York, San Francisco, Seoul, Singapore, and Washington D.C. TPG’s investment platforms span a wide range of asset classes, including private equity, growth equity, impact investing, infrastructure, growth venture, real estate, secondaries, and public equity.
At Matrix Renewables we are looking for a highly motivated individual to play a key role managing our Project Development in the U.S. The Project Manager will be responsible for overseeing development of Matrix’s portfolio of projects in the U.S., reporting to Matrix headquarters in Miami. The Candidate should use their experience and intelligence to identify risks, to assess the quality of work done by Matrix’s developers, and to guide Matrix in understanding the risks that these projects face. The candidate should be mature enough to be able to represent Matrix’s interests with the local teams and stakeholders, being confident to proactively defend Matrix even if that position is opposed by the developer or stakeholders. The Candidate should have a good network of connections in the development and electricity industry in the U.S. The candidate must be familiar with all aspects of the development of renewable energy projects in the country, either wind or solar. During the development phase, the candidate will collaborate with in-house Matrix and external teams to ensure that projects obtain all the permits, authorizations, and licenses necessary to reach Ready to Build (“RTB”) status, on time. Part of the role will also be to manage timing between project RTB and PPAs from Matrix’s assets.
Key activities and responsibilities:
- Represent Matrix before the following stakeholders: local authorities, at political and regulatory level, landowners & local communities, developers, and occasionally offtakers. The candidate should have experience working with Stakeholders and be comfortable in that setting, able to manage sometimes difficult or confrontational situations. Good industry contacts with large generators, developers or distribution companies will be a positive
- Ensure that Matrix is tracking development status of projects in its pipeline, liaising with developers to help to deliver projects to RTB on time.
- Project scheduling management through activities definition, sequencing, resources, and duration estimation
- Management of relationships with landlords and tenants
- Management of community and public relations in respect of the Project
- Help to implement ESG Company policy at local level in compliance with modern standards, regulations, and best industry practice. Flag to HQ any ESG issues as soon as possible, gather information related to them and where instructed interact with stakeholders if appropriate
- Ensure the highest compliance about anticorruption practices along the relationship with all the stakeholders
- Smooth handover of development activities to Matrix operations department
General Skills / Attributes:
- BA or BS in a relevant field and an MBA or MA in a relevant field
- 10+ years of energy industry experience in a project development, project administration, project management, asset management, contract administration, deal execution, project finance or other commercial role
- Full understanding of the development, construction, and operational processes for solar projects in various regions of the U.S.
- Excellent knowledge of renewable energy plants construction, operation, and maintenance
- Comfortable attending lobbying evens both at the national level and local, in both political and civil service spheres
- Experience with dealing with utilities, distributors and generators and a good network of contacts in those companies
- An ability to perform at a high level in a matrixed organization, working in interdepartmental teams to achieve objectives
- Solid communication skills: capability to establish technical discussions in different cultural environments
- Native English; knowledge of Spanish is a plus.
- Ability to travel throughout the U.S. to meet stakeholders around Matrix projects