Development Associate Iberia
Based in Madrid, Spain
Matrix Renewables is a renewable energy platform that was founded by global alternative asset manager TPG through its impact investing platform, The Rise Fund, in 2020. Headquartered in Madrid, Matrix Renewables focuses on developing, constructing and being long-term owners of renewable energy assets.
Matrix Renewables’ current portfolio is comprised of 9.4 GW (operational, under construction, ready to build, under development) of renewable energy projects and storage across North America, Europe and Latin America.
TPG Rise is a $15 billion impact investing platform focused on investing in and supporting the growth of world-class businesses that deliver positive and measurable social and environmental impact globally.
TPG is a leading global alternative asset investment firm with offices in Austin, Beijing, Boston, Dallas, Fort Worth, Hong Kong, Houston, London, Luxembourg, Melbourne, Moscow, Mumbai, New York, San Francisco, Seoul, Singapore, and Washington D.C. TPG’s investment platforms span a wide range of asset classes, including private equity, growth equity, impact investing, infrastructure, growth venture, real estate, secondaries, and public equity.
At Matrix Renewables we are looking for a highly motivated individual to play a key role supporting our Project Development in Spain & Portugal. Based in Madrid, the Development Associate will be assisting development activities over Matrix’s portfolio of projects in Spain & Portugal, reporting to Matrix’s development team in Madrid. This is primarily a project level role. The Candidate should assist the Project Development team in Spain in their day-to-day activities, monitoring compliance with contractual obligations and assessing the quality of work done by with Matrix’s developers, assisting in the ordinary corporate and administrative obligations, liaising with external advisors and assisting to M&A, financing and operation teams when required. The Candidate would also use their experience and intelligence to identify risks and to guide Matrix in understanding the risks that these projects face. The candidate should be mature enough to be able to represent Matrix’s interests with the local teams and stakeholders, being confident to proactively defend Matrix even if that position is opposed by the developer or stakeholders. The candidate must be familiar with all aspects of the development of renewable energy projects in the country, either wind or solar. During the development phase, the candidate will collaborate with in-house Matrix and external teams to ensure that projects obtain all the permits, authorizations, and licenses necessary to reach Ready to Build (“RTB”) status, on time. Part of the role will also be to manage existing PPAs from Matrix’s assets.
Key activities and responsibilities:
• Assist the Project Development team in Spain & Portugal in their day-to-day activities.
• Analysis and control greenfield project opportunities (land securing and interconnection procedures) and other early-stage project development activities.
• Ensure projects’ VDR are updated with relevant documentation through each project development stage.
• Help tracking development status of projects in its pipeline, liaising with developers to help to deliver projects to RTB on time.
• Controlling internal and external development costs & budgeting.
• Monitor compliance with contractual obligations and assessing the quality of work done by Matrix’s developers.
• Project scheduling management through activities definition, sequencing, resources, and duration estimation
• Management of community and public relations in respect of the Project
• Help to implement ESG Company policy at local level in compliance with modern standards, regulations, and best industry practice. Flag to development team any ESG issues as soon as possible, gather information related to them and where instructed interact with stakeholders if appropriate
General Skills / Attributes:
• Master’s degree in Engineering, law or business.
• 3-4 years minimum of energy industry experience in a project development, project administration, project management.
• Full understanding of the development, construction, and operational processes for solar or wind projects in Spain & Portugal.
• Experience with dealing with utilities, distributors and generators and a good network of contacts in those companies is desirable.
• An ability to perform at a high level in a matrixed organization, working in interdepartmental teams to achieve objectives.
• Solid communication skills: capability to establish technical discussions in different cultural environments.
• Fluent in English & Spanish. Portuguese will be much appreciated.
• Ability to travel through Spain & Portugal to meet stakeholders around Matrix projects.