Matrix Renewables is a renewable energy platform that was founded by global alternative asset manager TPG through its impact investing platform, TPG Rise, in 2020. With an office in Miami and headquartered in Madrid, Matrix Renewables focuses on developing, constructing and being long-term owners of renewable energy assets.
Matrix Renewables’ current portfolio is comprised of 9.4 GW (operational, under construction, ready to build, under development) of renewable energy projects and storage across North America, Europe and Latin America.
TPG Rise is a $15 billion impact investing platform focused on investing in and supporting the growth of world-class businesses that deliver positive and measurable social and environmental impact globally.
TPG is a leading global alternative asset investment firm with offices in Austin, Beijing, Boston, Dallas, Fort Worth, Hong Kong, Houston, London, Luxembourg, Melbourne, Moscow, Mumbai, New York, San Francisco, Seoul, Singapore, and Washington D.C. TPG’s investment platforms span a wide range of asset classes, including private equity, growth equity, impact investing, infrastructure, growth venture, real estate, secondaries, and public equity.
At Matrix Renewables we are looking for a highly motivated individual to play a key role supporting our Project Development in the U.S. The Analyst will be a key supporting member of the Development team responsible for overseeing development of markets and Matrix’s portfolio of projects in the U.S., reporting to Matrix headquarters in Miami. In general, the Analyst will work on discrete tasks supporting development at the direction of the VP of Development. The Analyst will support and have responsibilities spanning all stages of development from market entry analysis through Ready to Build (“RTB”). The Candidate should use their experience and intelligence to identify risks and opportunities, to assess the quality of work done by Matrix’s developers, and to guide Matrix in understanding the risks and opportunities that these projects face. During the development phase, the candidate will collaborate with in-house Matrix and external teams to ensure that projects obtain all the permits, authorizations, and licenses necessary to reach RTB status, on time. Part of the role will also be to manage timing between project RTB and PPAs from Matrix’s assets.
Key activities and responsibilities:
• Support development activities of utility scale projects from market entry analysis to RTB, working under the guidance of the VP of Development with internal and external stakeholders on development relationships, siting, interconnection, permitting, environmental, design and origination matters
• Assist in tracking development status of projects and liaising with developers to help deliver projects to RTB on time as well as evaluating projects through a multi-factor risk / opportunity assessment and quantification of uncertainty matrix
• Assist in project scheduling management through activities definition, sequencing, resources, and duration estimation
• Assist in maintaining development budgets and actual results to support project management and key business decisions
• Assist in internal reporting to support management and investment decisions
• Review project pro forma financial models to understand how returns are impacted by key inputs
• Assist in permit application preparation and agency submittals and attend hearings and community meetings, as needed
• Review and summarize third party consultant reports
• Support offtake opportunities, including RFP responses, PPA negotiations and coordinating resources
• Support other departments, including acquisitions, finance, accounting and EPC, as a team member
• Stay current on market developments, including market trends, RFP opportunities, customers, state and federal policy changes, tariffs and tax incentives as well as renewable energy and energy transition technologies, and assist in disseminating relevant information to internal stakeholders
• Assist in ensuring a smooth handover of development activities to Matrix operations department
• Help to implement ESG Company policy at local level in compliance with modern standards, regulations, and best industry practice. Flag any ESG issues as soon as possible, gather information related to them and where instructed interact with stakeholders if appropriate
• Ensure the highest compliance about anticorruption practices with all the stakeholders
General Skills / Attributes:
• BS or BA, preferably in engineering, math, science, statistics, accounting, finance or similar field
• 2+ years of renewable energy industry experience in commercial roles
• Strong decision-making skills in light of uncertainty
• An ability to perform at a high level in a matrixed organization, working in interdepartmental teams to achieve objectives and manage multiple projects and development relationships simultaneously with minimal supervision
• Strong entrepreneurial, organizational, analytical and people skills
• High attention to detail and curiosity
• Solid communication skills; capability to establish technical discussions in different cultural environments
• Native English
• Ability to travel to our Miami headquarters and throughout the U.S. to meet stakeholders around Matrix projects